This ensemble of Strings for Kids played for shoppers at the Farmer’s Market a couple of weeks ago. They are serious and talented musicians.
Strings For Kids is a free music program run by Artspace in collaboration with Greenfield Public Schools. Students who enroll in Strings For Kids are offered a choice of learning to play violin or cello, and receive the following benefits at no charge:
- Instrument loan for the duration of enrollment
- Weekly in-school group instruction led by Artspace faculty
- Guidance on self-directed daily practice
- Weeklong summer intensives for both incoming and returning students
- Opportunities to perform at school meetings, Artspace recitals, and occasionally at other venues
Many of these young people also play in the Youth Orchestra. There are also students longing to play but there are not enough cellos. Hence the informal concert – and the open violin case.
After they have learned to play their instruments and proved a measure of skill and dedication they can audition for the Youth Orchestra which is operated by the Pioneer Valley Symphony and Chorus.
Artspace is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and relies on donors to provide free musical education in the Greenfield Public Schools and to keep our community vibrant through promotion of and instruction in the arts. Artspace’s address is located at 15 Mill Street, Greenfield, MA 01301. Mark your check to Strings for Kids. They really need those extra cellos.